Coolroom storage is an essential component of the modern food industry, ensuring the preservation of freshness, safety, and quality of perishable goods. With extended shelf life, improved food safety, and preserved nutritional value, coolroom storage helps minimize food waste, enhances product quality, and facilitates efficient distribution. As the demand for high-quality and safe food continues to grow, coolroom storage will remain a critical asset in the global food supply chain, supporting sustainable agriculture practices and meeting consumer expectations. Cool rooms provide effecient distribution, out of season availability and export opportunities to global markets.
Mercury can design and build custom walk-in coolrooms and freezer rooms in any shape and size to suit your exact requirements. Bespoke, hygenic and effecient, our coolrooms and freezers are designed to withstand the demands of your business and will maintain temperature even on the hottest of summer days. With over 90 years combined experience in helping clients in Newcastle and surrounding areas, Mercury’s commercial refrigeration specialists can provide your business with a walk-in cool room or freezer room for any application. From a 1.5m x 1.5m x 1.8m high storage coolroom to a 30m x 50m x 10m high drive-in refrigerated warehouse with automated doors, we have the expertise and experience to get the job done.
Commercial refrigeration is our area of expertise and we employ the best technicians in the trade. Regardless of the size of your business, our team of qualified experts can design and install all types of coolroom and walk-in freezer equipment.
We install coolrooms and freezer rooms for:
- Private Clients
- Cafes and Restaurants
- Pubs, Clubs and Hotels
- Supermarkets and Grocery Stores
- Bakeries, Butchers and Greengrocers
- Warehouses and Distribution Centres
- Manufacturing Plants and Commercial Kitchens
- Breweries and Distilleries
- Farms and Vinyards
- Ice Storage
Coolroom and Freezer Room Installation
The Art of Coolroom Installation: Ensuring Optimal Temperature Control
Coolrooms are essential for various industries, including food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, horticulture, and scientific research. These specialized rooms, also known as cold rooms, walk-in cool rooms or refrigerated chambers, provide a controlled environment to preserve the freshness and quality of products. These installations maintain low temperatures, often ranging from -18°C to 10°C, to inhibit bacterial growth, slow down enzymatic reactions, and extend the shelf life of perishable goods. Moreover, coolrooms provide a safe and regulated environment for products that require specific temperature conditions to preserve their integrity and efficacy.
Key Considerations for Coolroom Installation:
- Size and Design: The size and design of the coolroom should align with the intended purpose and available space. Factors like product volume, storage capacity, and accessibility need to be carefully considered to optimize functionality.
- Insulation: Effective insulation is crucial to minimize heat transfer and maintain the desired temperature within the coolroom. Proper insulation materials, such as polyurethane foam panels are chosen to ensure airtightness and prevent thermal leakage.
- Temperature Control Systems: Precision temperature control systems, including refrigeration units, thermostats, and humidity control mechanisms, must be selected based on the specific requirements of the stored products. These systems ensure stable and consistent temperatures, preventing fluctuations that can impact product quality.
- Ventilation and Airflow: Adequate ventilation and airflow management are essential to prevent the formation of condensation, minimize humidity levels, and maintain uniform temperature distribution within the coolroom. Proper ventilation systems and strategically positioned fans or blowers facilitate efficient airflow.
- Safety Measures: Safety features such as emergency alarms, backup power supplies, and temperature monitoring systems are vital to protect the coolroom’s contents in the event of power failures or temperature deviations.
Steps in Coolroom Installation:
- Planning and Design: This initial phase involves determining the size, layout, and specifications of the coolroom. Consulting with professionals, including architects, engineers, and refrigeration specialists, helps create a detailed plan that aligns with the requirements and regulations.
- Site Preparation: The installation area must be prepared by ensuring a level foundation, proper electrical connections, and adequate space for equipment installation. Any potential obstructions or structural limitations should be addressed.
- Insulation and Panel Installation: High-quality insulation materials are installed, including panels, floor insulation, and ceiling insulation, to create a thermally efficient enclosure. The insulation process should adhere to industry standards to minimize energy loss and maintain temperature stability.
- Refrigeration System Setup: The refrigeration system, including condensers, compressors, evaporators, and piping, is installed based on the cooling capacity required for the coolroom. Precise placement and sizing are crucial to ensure optimal cooling performance.
- Temperature Control and Monitoring: Once the refrigeration system is installed, temperature sensors, and monitoring devices are installed. These components enable accurate temperature monitoring, allowing for prompt detection and correction of any deviations.
- Finishing Touches and Testing: The coolroom is finalized by adding finishing touches such as lighting, access doors, and safety features. Comprehensive testing is conducted to verify the functionality, temperature control, and overall performance of the installation.
Coolroom installation is a complex process that demands meticulous planning, adherence to regulations, and technical expertise. The proper design, insulation, temperature control systems, and ventilation mechanisms are vital for ensuring optimal temperature control, prolonging product shelf life, and maintaining product quality. By investing in a well-designed and professionally installed coolroom, businesses can safeguard their perishable goods, minimize waste, and maximize operational efficiency. Call us now on 02 49477 193 for a free quote on your new coolroom.
Call our friendly staff for the latest in energy efficient coolroom and freezer solutions.
Our in-house engineer can design a coolroom with:
- EC fan motors
- Electronic expansion valves (EEVs)
- Variable Speed Drive Systems (VSDs) / Variable Frequency Drive Systems (VFDs)
Our custom walk in coolrooms are suited to a wide range of commercial and industrial uses in clubs, hotels, restaurants, supermarkets, retail outlets, cold storage ware houses and manufacturing. Available with either EPS or PIR panel and aluminium or concrete floors.
Mercury can supply your business with:
- Storage coolrooms and freezers
- Glass door/glass window display coolrooms and freezers
- Wine coolrooms
- Butchers coolrooms
- Blast chillers and freezers
Our insert coolrooms are the perfect choice to showcase your chilled goods, whilst still allowing customers easy access.
- Adjustable heating (heated glass models only)
- Available in clear anodised or a wide variety of Dulux® powdercoat colours
- All glass panes are toughened A grade safety glass – inner, outer, and centre (in case of triple glazed)
- All high grade stainless steel hardware for corrosion resistance
- Custom door sizes available
- Available as a combination insert with an entry door
Engineered to Perform
From design and engineering to construction and project management, quality and reliability are built into every job. All our coolrooms and freezer rooms are engineered to perform when you need it most and our work is guaranteed. We use only quality heavy-duty components from the most trusted names in refrigeration to give years of trouble free operation. We take pride in the details that our clients cannot see and provide world class workmanship on every job we do.
Call Newcastle’s trusted name in commercial refrigeration. Ask our engineer for a free quote on your next coolroom or freezer room project.